A solo trip for women can be an incredibly empowering and rewarding experience. It allows for freedom and flexibility to explore the best places in the world on your own terms, and can lead to personal growth and self-discovery. However, safety considerations are always a top priority, and it’s important to research destinations and take necessary precautions before embarking on a solo trip.
That being said, there are plenty of destinations that are safe and welcoming for solo traveling women. From bustling cities to tranquil natural landscapes, the world is full of unforgettable destinations waiting to be explored. Keep reading to discover the top 10 best solo trip destinations for women.
Top 10 Best Solo Trip for Women
When it comes to planning a solo travel as a woman, safety and adventure are key considerations. From breathtaking hikes to cultural experiences, there are countless destinations that offer both. In this section, we’ve rounded up the top 10 best solo trip for women, based on factors like safety, accessibility, and fun.
1. Tokyo, Japan
Tokyo is a fantastic destination for solo female traveler, with its unique blend of traditional culture and modern technology. It is also one of the safest cities in the world, making it an ideal choice for solo traveler.
Safety considerations for solo female travelers
While Tokyo is generally a very safe city, it’s still important to take precautions when traveling alone. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Dress modestly: Tokyo is a conservative city, and it’s best to avoid drawing unwanted attention by dressing too provocatively.
- Stay in well-lit areas: Stick to well-lit and populated areas, particularly at night.
- Avoid drinking too much: While Tokyo’s nightlife can be tempting, it’s important to be mindful of your alcohol intake when traveling solo.
- Keep your belongings close: Tokyo is a busy city, and pickpocketing can be a problem in crowded areas. Keep your belongings close and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
Top attractions to see and things to do
Tokyo has a plethora of attractions to explore, ranging from traditional temples to futuristic skyscrapers. Here are some must-visit sights:
- Sensō-ji Temple: This ancient Buddhist temple is Tokyo’s oldest and most significant temple. It’s a great place to soak up some traditional Japanese culture.
- Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden: A tranquil oasis in the heart of Tokyo, this park is perfect for a peaceful stroll or picnic.
- Tsukiji Fish Market: One of the largest fish markets in the world, Tsukiji is a unique and bustling Tokyo experience.
- Tokyo Tower: A towering symbol of Tokyo, this observation tower offers incredible views of the city skyline.
- Harajuku: Known for its vibrant fashion scene, Harajuku is a must-visit for anyone interested in fashion and pop culture.
Best time to visit
The best time to visit Tokyo for a woman is during the spring (March to May) or fall (September to November), when the weather is mild and pleasant. Summer can be hot and humid, while winter can be chilly and snowy. However, Tokyo is a year-round destination, so no matter when you go, you’re sure to find something to enjoy.
2. Marrakech, Morocco
Marrakech is one of the best places for solo female travel, a city filled with exotic sights, sounds, and smells that are sure to captivate any solo female traveler. From the bustling souks to the tranquil riads, there’s something for every kind of adventurer in this Moroccan gem.
Cultural Experiences and Sightseeing
Marrakech is rich in culture and history, with plenty of unique experiences to be had. Visit the Bahia Palace, a stunning 19th-century palace that’s a must-see for anyone interested in Moroccan architecture. For a more immersive cultural experience, head to the bustling souks (markets) in the old medina, where you can haggle for everything from spices to textiles to jewelry.
Marrakech is known for its warm and welcoming atmosphere, and the locals are some of the friendliest you’ll meet. As a solo traveler, you’ll find that you can trust people more easily here than in most other places. The locals are always happy to assist and provide tips on the best places to visit or eat, and you’ll find that striking up a conversation with a stranger often leads to new insights and experiences. With such a welcoming community, you’ll feel right at home in Marrakech.
As with any solo travel destination, it’s important to take precautions to ensure your safety in Marrakech. Stick to well-lit and populated areas, especially at night. Be wary of anyone who approaches you with an offer that seems too good to be true. Dress conservatively and respectfully to avoid unwanted attention.
Accommodations and Tours
Marrakech is home to many beautiful and affordable riads, traditional Moroccan homes that have been converted into guesthouses. Many riads offer solo-friendly accommodations, with private rooms and communal spaces to meet other travelers. When booking tours, look for reputable companies with good reviews to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Marrakech is in the spring (March to May) or fall (September to November), when temperatures are mild and crowds are smaller. Avoid visiting in the summer, when temperatures can soar to uncomfortable levels.
Marrakech is one of the best places that’s sure to leave a lasting impression on any solo female traveler. With its unique culture, stunning architecture, and warm hospitality, it’s a must-visit for anyone looking for a truly unforgettable adventure.
3. Bali, Indonesia
Bali, Indonesia is a popular destination for solo female travelers seeking a mix of cultural experiences, relaxation, and adventure. Here are some reasons why Bali should be on every solo female traveller’s bucket list:
Cultural experiences and wellness activities
Bali is known for its rich cultural heritage and diverse wellness activities. Here are some must-try experiences:
- Temple visits: Bali has many stunning temples, such as Tanah Lot and Uluwatu, that offer a glimpse into the island’s Hindu culture.
- Yoga and meditation: Bali has many yoga and meditation retreats that cater to solo travelers looking to improve their well-being.
- Traditional spa treatments: Bali is famous for its traditional spa treatments, such as Balinese massages and flower baths. Treat yourself to a relaxing day at a spa and immerse yourself in local wellness practices, it may be the best activity for a solo woman.
Affordable solo female travel options
While Bali can be an expensive destination, there are ways to make it more budget-friendly. Here are some tips:
- Stay in hostels: Bali has many high-quality hostels that are perfect for solo travel on a budget. Check out popular hostels like the Potato Head Beach Club and the Tijili Seminyak Hotel.
- Eat local food: Bali has many affordable local restaurants that serve delicious Indonesian cuisine. Opt for street food or small warungs (local eateries) for the most budget-friendly options.
- Use public transportation: While taxis are available in Bali, they can be expensive. Use public transportation like buses or hire a scooter to explore the island.
Best time to visit and things to see and do
Bali’s peak season is from July to August, but the island can be visited year-round. Here are some of the best things to see and do:
- Visit the beaches: Bali has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, such as Seminyak, Kuta, and Nusa Dua. Take a surfing lesson, go snorkeling or simply relax on the sand.
- Explore Ubud: Ubud is Bali’s cultural heart and is known for its lush rice paddies, art galleries, and traditional markets.
- Hike Mount Batur: Take an early morning trek up Mount Batur to see the sunrise over the island and take in the stunning views.
4. Barcelona, Spain
Barcelona, Spain is a vibrant city that offers a mix of culture, history, and nightlife. Here are some reasons why it’s a great destination for solo female travel:
Vibrant nightlife and cultural landmarks
Barcelona is known for its bustling nightlife and cultural landmarks. Here are some must-visit spots:
- La Rambla: This iconic pedestrian street is lined with shops, restaurants, and street performers. It’s a great place to experience the energy of the city.
- Park Guell: This whimsical park is a must-visit for its colorful mosaics and stunning views of the city.
- Gothic Quarter: The Gothic Quarter is the oldest part of the city and is home to stunning architecture and historic landmarks, such as the Barcelona Cathedral.
Safety tips for solo female travel
While Barcelona is generally a safe city, it’s important for a solo female travel to take precautions. Here are some tips:
- Avoid walking alone late at night, especially in poorly-lit areas.
- Be aware of pickpockets and keep your valuables secure.
- Use licensed taxis or ride-sharing services, especially when solo traveling at night.
Must-visit attractions and best time to visit
Barcelona is a popular destination year-round, but the best time to visit is in the spring or fall when the weather is mild. Here are some must-visit attractions:
- Sagrada Familia: This stunning church is one of Barcelona’s most famous landmarks and is still under construction.
- Picasso Museum: This museum is home to over 4,000 works by Pablo Picasso and is a must-visit for art lovers.
- Beaches: Barcelona has several beaches, such as Barceloneta and Bogatell, that are perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and people-watching.
5. New York City, United States
New York City is a bustling metropolis that has something to offer everyone, including solo female travel. Here are some reasons why it’s a great destination:
Solo-friendly activities and tours
New York City has plenty of activities and tours that are perfect for solo travelers. Here are a few:
- Walk the High Line: This elevated park is a unique way to see the city and offers stunning views of the skyline.
- Visit a museum: New York City is home to some of the best museums in the world, such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Museum of Modern Art.
- Take a food tour: New York City is a foodie’s paradise and taking a food tour is a great way to try new things and meet other travelers.
Safety tips for navigating the city
New York City is generally a safe city, but it’s important to take precautions, especially when you solo travel. Here are some tips:
- Avoid walking alone late at night, especially in less populated areas.
- Keep your valuables secure and be aware of pickpockets.
- Use well-lit and busy streets when walking.
Top attractions and hidden gems to explore
New York City has so many things to see and do, it can be overwhelming. Here are some must-see attractions and hidden gems:
- Central Park: This iconic park is a must-visit and offers a peaceful escape from the bustling city.
- Empire State Building: A trip to New York City isn’t complete without a visit to the top of the Empire State Building for stunning views of the city.
- Brooklyn Bridge: Walk across this iconic bridge for incredible views of the Manhattan skyline.
- Greenwich Village: This charming neighborhood is full of character and hidden gems, such as the historic Washington Square Park and the famous Comedy Cellar.
6. Queenstown, New Zealand
Queenstown, located on the South Island of New Zealand, is known for its stunning natural scenery and thrilling adventure sports. Here are some reasons why it’s a great destination for solo female travel:
Adventure sports and outdoor activities
Queenstown is a hub for outdoor activities and adventure sports, making it an ideal destination for adrenaline junkies. Here are a few activities to consider:
- Bungee jumping: Queenstown is the birthplace of bungee jumping, and there are several companies that offer jumps from various heights.
- Skiing and snowboarding: The nearby Remarkables and Coronet Peak ski resorts offer some of the best skiing and snowboarding in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Hiking: There are plenty of hiking trails in and around Queenstown, ranging from short walks to multi-day treks.
Solo travel tips for budget-conscious female solo travel
New Zealand in general and Queenstown in particular can be an expensive destination, but there are ways to make it more budget-friendly for solo traveler. Here are some tips:
- Stay in a hostel: Hostels are a great way to meet other travelers and save money on accommodations.
- Cook your own meals: Eating out can be expensive, so consider staying in a hostel with a kitchen and cooking your own meals.
- Take advantage of free activities: There are several free activities in Queenstown, such as hiking and visiting the Queenstown Gardens.
Best time to visit and must-see attractions
The best time to visit Queenstown is during the summer months (December to February) when the weather is warm and there are plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy. Here are some must-see attractions:
- Milford Sound: Take a scenic drive or a boat tour through this stunning fjord.
- Skyline Queenstown: Ride the gondola to the top of Bob’s Peak for panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and lake.
- Arrowtown: This charming historic gold-mining town is located just a short drive from Queenstown and is worth a visit for its quaint streets and picturesque scenery.
7. Edinburgh, Scotland
Edinburgh, the capital city of Scotland, is a destination that is steeped in history and culture. Here’s why it’s a great destination for solo female travel:
Rich history and cultural experiences
Edinburgh is home to many historical and cultural attractions, including:
- Edinburgh Castle: Perched on a hilltop overlooking the city, Edinburgh Castle is a must-visit attraction that offers stunning views and a glimpse into Scotland’s rich history.
- The Royal Mile: This historic street runs from Edinburgh Castle to Holyrood Palace and is lined with shops, restaurants, and historic buildings.
- The Scottish National Gallery: This art museum features works by Scottish and international artists, including pieces by Van Gogh, Monet, and Botticelli.
Safety tips for solo female travel
Edinburgh is generally a safe city, but it’s important to take precautions when you solo travel. Here are some tips:
- Stick to well-lit areas: Avoid walking alone in dark or isolated areas, especially at night.
- Be aware of your surroundings: Stay alert and keep an eye on your belongings, especially in crowded areas.
- Trust your instincts: If something doesn’t feel right, trust your gut and remove yourself from the situation.
Top attractions and best time to visit
The best time to visit Edinburgh is during the summer months (June to August) when the weather is mild and there are plenty of festivals and events. Here are some top attractions to check out:
- The Edinburgh Festival Fringe: This annual festival features thousands of performances by comedians, musicians, and other artists.
- Arthur’s Seat: This extinct volcano offers panoramic views of the city and is a popular hiking spot.
- The Palace of Holyroodhouse: This royal residence has been home to the kings and queens of Scotland since the 16th century and is open for tours.
8. Vancouver, Canada
As one of the most naturally beautiful cities in the world, Vancouver is a must-visit destination for a solo female travel. Nestled between the Pacific Ocean and the Coastal Mountains, this Canadian gem is the perfect destination for outdoor enthusiasts.
Stunning natural beauty and outdoor activities
Vancouver boasts a wealth of natural beauty, from the lush forests of Stanley Park to the breathtaking views from the top of Grouse Mountain. Hike or bike the extensive network of trails, go kayaking or paddleboarding in the calm waters of English Bay, or take a scenic drive along the Sea-to-Sky Highway to the ski resort town of Whistler.
Solo-friendly accommodations and tours
There are plenty of solo-friendly accommodations in Vancouver, from budget-friendly hostels to luxurious hotels. Many hotels and tour companies offer special packages and discounts for solo travelers, making it easy to explore the city on your own terms. You can even join a guided walking tour to learn about the city’s history and culture.
Must-see attractions and tips for navigating the city
Don’t miss a visit to the Capilano Suspension Bridge, where you can walk across a stunning 70-meter-high bridge suspended above a river canyon. Explore the colorful neighborhoods of Gastown and Chinatown, and take a stroll through the trendy Yaletown district. For a unique experience, take a water taxi to Granville Island and browse the artisanal shops and food stalls.
When navigating the city, be sure to take advantage of the efficient public transportation system, which includes buses, trains, and ferries. Vancouver is a safe city overall, but it’s always wise to take basic safety precautions when you solo travel. Stick to well-lit areas at night and keep your valuables secure.
With its stunning natural beauty, welcoming locals, and endless opportunities for adventure, Vancouver is the perfect destination for a solo female travel.
9. Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon, the stunning capital city of Portugal, is a perfect destination for solo travel. With its beautiful architecture, rich cultural experiences, and welcoming locals, Lisbon is a must-visit destination for anyone traveling solo. Here are some tips for a safe and enjoyable solo trip to Lisbon.
Safety considerations for solo female travel
Lisbon is generally considered safe for female solo traveler, but it’s always wise to take precautions. Avoid walking alone at night in less-traveled areas, and be aware of your surroundings at all times. It’s also important to keep your valuables safe and avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
Top attractions to see and things to do
Lisbon is home to a wealth of cultural attractions and experiences. From its historic architecture to its delicious cuisine, there’s no shortage of things to see and do in this vibrant city. Here are some top attractions to consider adding to your itinerary:
- Belem Tower: This iconic tower is a must-visit attraction in Lisbon. Built in the 16th century, it stands as a symbol of Portugal’s rich maritime history.
- Alfama: This charming neighborhood is one of the oldest in Lisbon and is known for its narrow streets, colorful houses, and lively atmosphere.
- Jeronimos Monastery: This UNESCO World Heritage site is a masterpiece of Manueline architecture and is one of the most visited monuments in Portugal.
- Time Out Market: This lively food market is a popular spot for both locals and tourists, offering a wide variety of delicious Portuguese cuisine.
- Tram 28: This historic tram route takes you on a scenic tour of Lisbon’s historic neighborhoods, offering stunning views of the city along the way.
Best time to visit
The best time to visit Lisbon is during the shoulder seasons of spring (March-May) and fall (September-November) when the weather is mild and the crowds are smaller. However, if you’re looking for warm weather and lively festivities, consider visiting during the summer months when the city comes alive with outdoor events and festivals.
Solo-friendly accommodations and tours
Lisbon offers a range of accommodations and tours that are ideal for solo female travelers. From affordable hostels to luxury hotels, there’s something for every budget. Additionally, there are many tours and activities available that cater specifically for solo travel, including walking tours, food tours, and photography tours.
Lisbon is a beautiful and welcoming city that is perfect for solo female travelers. With its rich history, stunning architecture, and delicious cuisine, it’s no wonder why Lisbon is quickly becoming one of the most popular solo female travel destination in Europe. Just remember to stay safe, be aware of your surroundings, and have fun exploring all that this vibrant city has to offer.
10. Melbourne, Australia
Melbourne is a vibrant city in Australia that is a great destination for solo female travelers. The city is known for its arts and culture scene, as well as its vibrant nightlife. If you’re planning a solo trip to Melbourne, here are some things to keep in mind.
Safety considerations for solo female travelers
As with any destination, safety should be a top priority when traveling solo in Melbourne. Stick to well-lit areas at night, avoid walking alone in secluded areas, and be aware of your surroundings. It’s also a good idea to let someone know where you’re going and when you’ll be back.
Solo-friendly activities and tours
Melbourne has plenty of solo-friendly activities and tours to choose from. Take a stroll through the Royal Botanic Gardens, check out the street art in Hosier Lane, or explore the Queen Victoria Market. You can also take a day trip to the Great Ocean Road or the Yarra Valley for some beautiful scenery.
Best time to visit
The best time to visit Melbourne is in the summer months from December to February, when the weather is warm and sunny. However, this is also peak tourist season, so be prepared for crowds and higher prices. If you prefer cooler weather and fewer crowds, visit in the spring (September to November) or fall (March to May).
Top attractions and hidden gems to discover
There are plenty of must-visit attractions in Melbourne, including the iconic Flinders Street Station, the Melbourne Museum, and the National Gallery of Victoria. For a unique experience, check out the Brighton Bathing Boxes, colorful beach huts located on Brighton Beach. And don’t forget to explore the city’s laneways, where you’ll find hidden bars, cafes, and shops.
As a solo female traveler, the world is your oyster. With so many incredible destinations to choose from, it can be hard to decide where to go. To help make your decision a little easier, we have listed the top 10 best solo trip destinations for women in this article, each of these destinations offers a unique blend of culture, adventure, and relaxation, making them perfect for solo female travelers looking to explore the world.
Encouragement to take the leap and travel solo
Traveling solo can be an incredibly rewarding experience. It allows you to step out of your comfort zone, meet new people, and gain a sense of independence and self-discovery. While it can be intimidating to travel alone, especially as a woman, it’s important to remember that millions of women travel solo every year and do so safely and happily.
So if you’re considering taking the leap and embarking on a solo adventure, go for it! Plan your trip, do your research, and take the necessary precautions to stay safe. You won’t regret it.
Final tips and advice for solo female travelers
Before you set off on your solo trip, here are some final tips and advice to help make your experience as enjoyable and safe as possible:
- Research your destination thoroughly, including local customs, laws, and safety concerns.
- Always trust your instincts and be aware of your surroundings.
- Pack light and bring only the essentials.
- Stay in well-reviewed accommodations that cater to solo travelers.
- Keep copies of important documents and emergency contacts with you at all times.
- Make use of public transportation, but avoid traveling alone at night.
- Connect with other travelers through online communities or in-person meetups.
- Don’t be afraid to say no to anything that makes you uncomfortable.
- Embrace the unexpected and enjoy the journey.
For more tips on trip planning, check out our article on “7 Things to Consider When Planning a Trip” and make sure to pack all the necessary items by reviewing our guide on “Traveler’s Backpack Items You Should Have.“
Remember, solo travel is about discovering new places, meeting new people, and learning more about yourself. With the right mindset and preparation, it can be an unforgettable and life-changing experience.